Things to Keep in Mind when Using the Sheet Metal Cutting Tool
Sheet metal shears are one of the must-have industrial tools used today. These shears allow workers to cut hard metals of different widths without using lasers or any high-tech equipment. Although metal shears are not as evolved as other precision metal cutting tools such as plasma cutters, they pose a potential danger to workers if not handled properly.
Therefore, when using these sharp tools, they should follow some basic safety tips. Would you like to know what safety tips to follow when using sheet metal cutting tools? This article answers the same question.
The following steps can be taken when using the sheet metal cutting tool:
1. Provide workers with a proper training: This is the first and most important step in using any metal cutting tool. Appropriate training courses on equipment, working conditions, and occupational hazards should be provided to trained and experienced professionals in the relevant organizations. In addition to this, personnel should be trained in safety procedures to prevent accidents in the workplace.
2. Do regular tool inspections: This is an important step before using metal scissors. Tools should be inspected and checked for faults to ensure they are in good working order. This is because sheet metal operators work with various types of hard materials. If blunt-edged scissors are available, then workers may have difficulty.
3. Schedule routine maintenance and repairs: Oil and metal shavings may get caught in the scissors and easily wear out after a certain time. These reduce the effectiveness of the tool. To avoid this, it is important to perform maintenance and repairs at least once a week after each use, if not possible. This will keep the tool free of debris and help prevent accidents and damage.
4. Use Personal Protective Equipment: Sheet metal shears are sharp; therefore, operators should always wear personal protective equipment such as durable hand gloves, anti-spark glasses, protective caps, etc. With PPE, the chance of an accident can be reduced. Employers have a responsibility to provide top-level PPE for their employees while they work. In addition, proper attire also plays a key role as ill-fitting or loose clothing can lead to accidents. Additionally, operators must avoid wearing heavy or fancy jewelry when handling tools, as the work environment exposes them to high temperatures.
5. Maintain a safe working distance: An obvious but essential safety tip for shearing tools is to hold the handle while maintaining a safe distance. Make sure not to carry metal scissors with power cords or sharp blades. If you hold the power cord or get a sharp cut from a blade, you could be electrocuted.
To avoid such workplace accidents and other damages, it is important to hire a reliable, industry-leading supplier of metalworking equipment. With over 20 years of extensive experience, Hengli is passionate about providing high-quality sheet metal cutting tools. If necessary, please contact us.
Hengli is a professional China custom metal sheet cutting equipment supplier. The main products are high-precision sheet metal automatic shearing devices, industrial automation online detection systems, electrical and electrical automation devices, and automatic control. Provide a total solution. The main products are synchronized with the world's advanced technology and are widely used in the pillar industries of the national economy such as automobile manufacturing and parts processing, iron and steel metallurgy processing, electric power, and metal packaging.